This recipe will yield 4 Pints jars, but can be adapted
to yield other quantities.
- 2 Cups White Vinegar
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 2 Cups Water
- 1/2 Tbsp Alum
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Pickling Spice
- 4 Cloves of Garlic / 1 per Jar (Optional)
- Hot/Sweet Banana Peppers
- 16 Regular Length Hot Dogs
There are a few steps when making these:
Cold Packing the Jars:
- Have your clean jars in front of you as you begin to cut up the hot dogs and peppers. I prefer to half the hot dogs and place two halves on the bottom of the jar first. Then I proceed to thinly slice the peppers into rings and then layer them. Then continue alternating the hot dogs and peppers until there is a generous inch of head space left in the jar.
Making the pickling brine:
- Combine the White Vinegar, Water, Alum, Pickling Spice and Sugar into a medium to large sauce pan and bring to a boil allowing the sugar to dissolve.
Combining and "Bathing" the jars:
- Add pickling brine to the cold packed jars, still leaving 1/2 to 3/4 inch of head space.
- Clean rim of jar with a rag to remove any liquid or debris.
- Apply lid and rings and place in "hot bath" for 15 minutes.
- Remove and place in a cool dry area to cool down.