Thursday, February 17, 2011

U.S. Marshal Remembered

It's a tragic when anything of this nature happens, but when you hear about something like this taking place only 45 miles from your hometown it seems to hit home a little harder. Like most, I was interested in listening to the news, to see if all the Marshals were ok, but as the day wore on at work, I let it slip my mind. But when I went on break, I found out I was wrong, the distance wasn't the only thing that made this hit home a littler closer than I'd have imagined, come to find out that a relative of mine was involved in the shooting. Not only was he involved, he was one of the two Marshals that were rushed to Ruby Memorial for emergency surgery. Derek was 24, my you find peace with your father on the other side and know that we will always be grateful for the duties you and your fellow Marshals preform day in and day out. May your thoughts and prayers be with the Hotsinpiller family, as well as the other families that had Marshals involved in this tragedy.

U.S. Marshal Remembered

By all accounts, 24-year-old Derek Hotsinpiller was full of life when he was shot and killed while serving a search warrant in Elkins Wednesday.

Hotsinpiller, a U.S. Marshal, was entering a home where Marshals planned to arrest 50-year-old Charles Smith.  Police say Smith fired several rounds at Marshals when they opened the door.

After an exchange of gunfire, two Marshals were injured.  Smith was shot dead, and Hotsinpiller was taken to Ruby Memorial Hospital for emergency surgery.  A short time later, Hotsinpiller was pronounced dead.

To continue reading about Derek, click here.

One U.S. Marshal Killed, Two Injured in Elkins Shooting
Posted Wednesday, February 16, 2011 ; 10:04 AM
Updated Wednesday, February 16, 2011; 08:32 PM

ELKINS, WV -- Authorities with several different law enforcement agencies were called to the scene of a fatal shooting in Elkins.

At about 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, deputy U.S. Marshals were trying to serve an arrest warrant on Charles Smith, 50, at his house on Central Street, according to officials.

When they entered the home, Smith shot U.S. Deputy Marshal Derek Hotsinpiller, in the neck. A second deputy was shot in the shoulder with a shotgun. The third deputy received facial injuries from shrapnel from the shotgun, Federal Magistrate Judge John Kaull said.

A deputy marshal and a state trooper returned fire, killing Smith, state police officials said.
Hotsinpiller and one of the other deputies were taken to Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown, where they underwent surgery. Hotsinpiller died at the hospital, according to officials. The other deputy made it through surgery and officials with the U.S. Marshals said they hope for a full recovery. 

To continue this story, click here. (Excuse the comments on this site, at best some of them can be described as disgusting.)


  1. My heart goes out to you and your family. What a tragic thing to happen to someone so young.

  2. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, and the Marshals. Sadly this becomes more common every day.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...